How can your family celebrate Children's Dental Health month?
Starting your children young with good dental hygiene habits is paramount. The sooner your child learns how to brush correctly and floss his or her teeth, the more likely it helps them prevent gingivitis, cavities, and other dental concerns. Healthy, strong teeth are a vital part of your child's overall oral health, and at Byers Station Dental in Chester Springs, PA we want to help parents make brushing and flossing a fun experience for their kids. February is National Children's Dental Health Month, and we are excited to share some fun ways to encourage healthy teeth with your children.
Children's oral health is important
While the American Dental Association (ADA) recognizes February as National Children's Dental Health Month, it brings awareness of how essential it is to develop good dental habits with your kids at an early age. Children should receive their first dental exam no later than one year of age to ward off any potential dental problems and establish them feeling comfortable in a dental chair. In later years, parents should focus on having their children see a dentist at least twice a year for a professional cleaning and oral exam. More attention should also be focused on overcrowded teeth and healthy gums, along with brushing and flossing twice a day.
Helpful tips on encouraging good dental hygiene
Tooth decay is one of the most common childhood health concerns. However, it is preventable, and why it is imperative to schedule your child's first dental appointment before their first birthday. In honor of National Children's Dental Health Month in February, our team at Byers Station Dental wants to share some fun ways to celebrate and encourage good oral hygiene habits with your family at home.
1. Children pay close attention to songs and, as a result, learn quickly from his or her favorite lyrics. You can incorporate a fun sing-along song while you and your child brush and floss together. Sing, dance, and have fun while promoting healthy teeth.
2. Let your child pick out a fun toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste while at the store to make it a more enjoyable experience for them. It can boost the likelihood that your child will be excited to brush with their favorite superhero or princess toothbrush.
3. Make a trip to the dentist a fun experience, so your son or daughter looks forward to their dental check-up. Our dedicated staff at Byers Station Dental ensures a fun, safe, and comfortable environment for patients of all ages.
4. Give your child a reward or gold star for brushing and flossing his or her teeth every day while using a special timer to make sure they brush for two minutes. Once they achieve a milestone, like seven days in a row, you can offer an additional reward at your discretion. However, parents should try to avoid candy incentives since the ultimate goal is to encourage your child to take care of their teeth.
5. Watch a fun video or read books about how to have healthy teeth. You can also let your children watch you brush and floss as a hands-on demonstration. This is the best way to teach your child good dental hygiene. Strive to be an excellent example to your kids, even when you may feel too tired in the morning or at night. If you show energy and enthusiasm about taking care of your teeth, your child likely will do the same.
Are you looking for family dentistry in Chester Springs, PA?
The foundation of good dental hygiene begins at an early age. The care that goes into your child's teeth and gums start with you. One of the best ways to help your child embrace taking care of their teeth is to make it fun. At Byers Station Dental, our team of expert dentists and dental hygienists are dedicated to assisting you with your child's oral health care needs. If you are looking for a Chester Springs, PA dentist, call our office to schedule a dental exam for your family members today.