Why Regular Dental Cleanings are Good for Your Oral Health
Many people think that regular brushing and flossing is enough to keep your teeth healthy, but regular dental cleanings are essential to maintain proper oral health.
A regular teeth cleaning removes stubborn plaque and tartar that normal brushing can’t get and allows your dentist to check for tooth decay, gum disease, and other oral health issues. That’s why our expert team at Byers Station Dental always recommends patients in Chester Springs, Byers, Ludwigs Corner, Eagle, Lionville, and Exton, PA get a regular dental cleaning at least twice a year.
So, what are regular dental cleanings, and why are they so good for your oral health? We’re going to tell you and give you five benefits of a regular dental cleaning that may surprise you.
What is a standard dental cleaning?
Even if you never forget to brush and floss your teeth, over time, plaque and tartar build up on your teeth above and below the gumline. Both require professional teeth cleaning to remove since regular brushing and flossing can’t do it.
During your regular dental teeth cleaning, here’s what you can expect:
Before the teeth cleaning begins, our team will examine your head and neck to ensure your lymph nodes and jaw are healthy. If necessary, an x-ray of your mouth may be done. An examination of your mouth, teeth, and gums will be made to inspect dental work, check for cracked teeth, and to check for signs of tooth decay, gum disease, or oral cancer.
Using a dental mirror and special tools, the plaque and tartar will be removed from your teeth, with extra attention paid to the difficult areas on the back molars and the area beneath the gumline. Next, you’ll get professional flossing to get anything left between your teeth.
After all the plaque and tartar are removed, using a high-powered professional brush tool, your teeth will be cleaned and polished with a heavier grit toothpaste.
Last, a fluoride treatment will be applied to your teeth to help prevent cavities. When you’re done, you rinse, spit, and have a minty fresh set of clean, healthier teeth.
It’s great to have a sparkling set of teeth – but other than having clean teeth, why are regular dental cleanings good for your oral health?
Why regular dental teeth cleanings are good for your oral health
Beyond keeping your teeth clean, regular dental cleanings are an essential part of overall health for our patients in Chester Springs, PA, and not just a way to help prevent cavities and tooth decay. Here are five health benefits of regular dental cleanings you might not know:
- Prevent gum disease – Gum disease is an infection of the gum tissues and bone that hold your teeth in place. It is the main cause of tooth loss in adults and, if diagnosed early, can be treated or reversed.
- Diagnose oral cancer – During your examination, you’ll be checked for oral cancer, which kills one person every hour, according to the Oral Cancer Foundation. If caught early, it is very curable.
- Avoid heart attack and stroke – Proper oral hygiene, and especially gum health, protects more than your teeth. Recent studies have linked gum disease to risks for heart attack and stroke.
- Get whiter teeth – If you like your tea and coffee, or use tobacco products, a regular teeth cleaning can help remove some of the stains to get you a whiter smile.
- Stop bad breath – Plaque, tartar, and poor oral hygiene are the main causes of bad breath. As many as 85% of cases of persistent bad breath can be linked to poor oral hygiene.
Get a healthier, brighter smile with a dental cleaning
At Byers Station Dental, it’s our goal to not only make your smile look brighter but to also help you maintain proper oral health for good overall health in Chester Springs, Byers, Ludwigs Corner, Eagle, Lionville, or Exton, PA. A regular dental cleaning performed by our expert team every six months is the best way to do it. If you’re in Chester Springs, PA, or nearby, call us today to schedule your regular dental cleaning. Let us help you keep your teeth and gums healthy, happy, and looking great.